Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Ode To The Dearly Departed Thunder Thighs

Remember I once said I studied ballet as a child and wanted more than anything to be a dancer?  Well, that's true and even though I took classes and practiced all week, I still had big thighs.  They were muscular, but they were also big.  I inherited them from my mom.  In high school, not only did I take dance classes and practice, I was also on the drill team.  My thunder thighs stayed firmly in place...

Our best and most requested routine for the drill team ended on a spectacular contagion of movement beginning at one end of the line and progressing through the girls to the opposite end.  Those of us short enough to be at the end where the contagion started did 64 high kicks in a row.  My thunder still rolled.  (Talk about a cardio workout!)

And let's not even talk about the splits we had to do.  My worst memory of high school is performing at a game where the temp was below 50 and the field was wet.  I had the misfortune to be located on one of the yard lines when split time came.  My majorette boots dug trenches in the yard line as I performed my perfect split.  I got up with mud and yard line paint striping my legs...YECH!

My life is pretty stressful right now, with health issues for my loved ones, two leggeds and four leggeds.  So, it's understandable why I miss some things these days.

Earlier this week, I put on a new pair of pants only slightly less fitted than leggings.  That's when I realized...my THUNDER THIGHS ARE GONE!!!

Wha??? Where'd they go?  I hadn't been hearing the telltale whoosh-whoosh when I walked, but it didn't register on my conscious mind.  Besides, it's too early in the season for corduroy.

Granted I have been a dedicated dieter and carb counter for the last year or so.  I also started an exercise program back in the spring, which I do 6 to 7 days each week.  But who knew at this age, my old thighs would depart?  I mean they never did before...though I worked at it and wished they'd go away.

After an adult lifetime of walking like a thunder lizard, shaking the ground whenever I moved, it is very strange to tread so lightly now. (And so much faster!)

Along with the low carb diet, I have an elliptical on which I pedal daily.  I am up to eight miles a day, with my goal being ten miles daily.  My little elliptical is portable.  It can be used while you sit in a chair.  So each afternoon, I pull out one of my dining room chairs and pedal away at a fast pace (one-two, one-two, one-two.)  It takes me about 26 minutes most days to pedal eight miles, so I keep a fast pace.  I also use resistance bands for my arms while I pedal.  I am up to 200 reps per day with the bands.

Having problem knees, I couldn't really use a bike when I started.  The elliptical is much easier on the joints.  Besides, I've pedaled over 500 miles so far, not far enough for the Tour De France, but that's an impressive stat for such a dedicated couch potato!

Who knows how far I'll go?  One of these days, I may get a real bicycle and go out into the world.

In the meantime, take heart, for this is my advice and assurance to you. 

If you dream it, you can do it.  I am very serious about this.  We humans have an amazing capacity for manifesting success in our lives.  Go for whatever you want.  You can do it.  I'm living proof.

One of these days I may take my act to the beach!  (In bicycle shorts and a tank top, of course.)

So fare thee well oh thunder thighs of mine.  You kept me warm in the winter, and chafed in the summer (in Texas and Florida!) Now I'll chortle gleefully as I pull on my leggings and walk silently into the sunset...

Live Long and Prosper...*



* Quotation from Mr. Spock

3 comments: