Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Heroes of Cosplay and Face Off - SyFy's Tuesday night line-up

I mentioned earlier in my blogging career what a Star Trek fan I am.  And yes, years ago I attended cons several times around the U.S.  I had a Starfleet uniform, but never participated in the costume contests.  I remember seeing people walking around in elaborate costumes, a gorn, a green female slave, lots of Spocks, Kirks, and once a very credible T'Lar (played by Judith Anderson in STIII: The Search for Spock.)  She scared me a bit she was so into her character.  One lifted eyebrow from her and I knew I wasn't measuring up to Vulcan standards.  But then that ticked me off...Hey, wait a minute, I'm human, not Vulcan...so Bite me, T'Lar!!  (Emotional human!)

I have been aware that sci-fi/fantasy/horror/video games conventions are once again in favor.  No longer are they "Star Trek Conventions" - they cover most of the sci-fi/fantasy/horror genres.  The costume contests have grown to the point that many of them offer cash prizes.  People compete who are trying to be professional costumers and prop makers.

SyFy has a series that follows a handful of competitors from con to con, showing how they come up with their costume(s) and the process through which it is made.  Sometimes their ideas work, sometimes they don't.  It is fascinating to watch to see the process from beginning to end.  Often, they make a new costume in the limited time between one con and the next - as little as a week.  They have wonderful ideas and talented hands for sewing and building complicated props.  The contestants range from successful costumers to first time entrants and everyone in between.  Even the newbies can come up with some fun and innovative ideas.  It's a pleasure to watch.

Gee now that I'm older, I could probably pull off T'Lar!  I'm certainly wrinkled enough.  I wouldn't need any latex creases.  What a time saver that would be...

Now that's a quandry to ponder...how come the older Vulcans get wrinkled like humans when they don't use much expression on their faces?  They're probably all smiling in secret!  I've long thought that was the case.  They'd probably appreciate some botox.

Face Off which leads the evening line-up is in its fifth season.  I've been watching this show from the beginning.  Talented make-up artists are given a challenge each week to create characters out of sci-fi, fantasy, or horror movies.  Usually they are given three days to develop their concept based on the theme they are given, create the make-up (often with elaborate prosthetics), make the costume, apply the look on the model and present it to the panel of professional judges.  The judges are usually from the film industry, known individually for their work.  One of the panel members is an Academy Award winner for her make-up designs.

There are different levels of skill among the chosen contestants, but all are professional make-up artists.  It is surprising how good some of them can be.  Even the ones with less experience can come up with an impressive make-up job and win.  They are competing for $100,000 among other prizes.  So the competition is fierce.

I hate to see people eliminated each week from Face Off, but know the exposure on the show will help them with their careers.

Both shows are enjoyable and riveting if you're charmed by creativity like I am.  I wouldn't miss either.  Too bad they have relatively short runs.

No shark movies listed for SyFy this week....that's a relief!  You need a break from such things.

Hope your weather is turning autumnal.  Ours hasn't quite gotten there yet.  But at least there aren't any hurricanes menacing us from the ocean as yet.

Enjoy your Labor Day weekend!  Remember to indulge in pop culture.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds gorgeous! Is it one you plan to wear for competition? If so, best of luck!

    ReplyDelete