Monday, May 18, 2015

Day Shift by Charlaine Harris

Okay, I admit it, I'm prejudiced when it comes to Charlaine Harris, add me to her legion of fans.  I love her new series about the mythical Texas town of Midnight. Just like I loved the Sookie Stackhouse books that came before. I loved her irreverent take on supernatural beings ("supes" as they were known in Bon Temps) coming out into mainstream America.

Midnight Crossroad was her first book in the trilogy set in this mythical little town somewhere in the middle of the Lone Star State.  The town is basically a crossroad with a few occupied buildings and several boarded up ones.

There is only a handful of residents in this tiny place.  There is a pawn shop (open all night for the convenience of some of its patrons), a combo gas station/convenience store, a combo antique store/nail salon run by two unusual openly gay men, one restaurant run by a pistol-packing mama who lives in the double-wide out back of the restaurant with her husband and infant son, there is the resident benevolent witch who holds classes and sells herbal products in her home, a small chapel and pet cemetery run by the taciturn Reverend, and the home of the resident telephone psychic (who really has talent though it comes only sporadically) he gives in-person readings, scheduling them over the weekend in an elegant Dallas hotel suite which he books for that purpose.

The folks who run these establishments have many secrets.  We haven't learned them all yet.  There is still one more book to go in the proposed trilogy. But Day Shift gives us tantalizing glimpses of mysteries yet to be solved. As an animal lover, there is one character I dearly love, but you'll have to read the books.  I'm not going to spoil the surprise.

There's something so appealing to me about Ms. Harris' work that I read the latest edition twice back to back.

If you loved Sookie Stackhouse and her world of Bon Temps, La, check out the Midnight, Texas series.

Even though everything isn't coming up roses in Midnight, this book will make you laugh, smile, and feel for these likeable folks who may or may not be human.  The jury is still out on some of them.

As for me, I may just move to Midnight.

Check out these wonderful books.  They're great reads.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment